History

Tasmania's Government House is today regarded as one of the best Vice-Regal residences in the Commonwealth.

The main of the construction was completed in 1857 and on the 2 January 1858 Sir Henry Fox Young became the first Governor to take up residence.

Designed by colonial architect William Porden Kay, it is a fine example of an early Victorian country house in neo-Gothic style and is one of the largest of its type in Australia.

The scale, detail and finish of the entrance hall, grand corridor and state rooms together with their furniture are unequalled in Australia.

Outstanding exterior features of the house include exceptional stonework, individually carved sandstone chimney pots and bas-relief sculptures.

 

Images courtesy Tasmanian Archives and Heritage Office.